Learn how to easily install kitchen knobs by using an inexpensive template. Even if you are not someone who is super handy with household repairs and projects, you will have no problem installing professional looking knobs.
Back in 2020, my husband and I were getting ready to move into a new rental. This rental had a huge kitchen with lots of cabinets. The cabinets were hard to open because none of them had knobs.
My husband and I almost called a handy man to install the kitchen knobs, but after doing some research, we came across a product that gave us the confidence to complete this project on our own.
Kitchen Knob Template
If you’re not a highly skilled handy person, you ABSOLUTELY need a kitchen knob template. This affordable device ensures every knob is perfectly aligned and evenly spaced. As long as all of your cabinets are installed correctly, this template will work every time.
In my “how-to” video for installing kitchen knobs, I used the the MeasurePro template from Amazon. In the picture above, I have the Rok Hardware template from Amazon. They’re both very similar and come with two templates. One template is for installing knobs and the other is for installing drawer pulls.
Depending on which brand you buy, your template may have holes that are in different locations. Some template are geared more towards cabinet handles and some are geared more towards knobs. I would take a look at a few templates and pick one that best fits the way you want your kitchen knobs to look.
Tools You Will Need
- Kitchen Knob Template: This template is inexpensive and can be purchased at your local hardware store or online. Most templates come with 2 pieces. One piece is for cabinets and the other is for drawer.
- Drill Bits: I recommend getting a drill bit kit because the drill bit that comes with the knobs is usually cheap and creates a jagged hole. I have the Ryobi drill bit set and use it all the time for different projects.
- Cordless Drill: I love the Ryobi cordless drill because it’s affordable and uses a battery that is compatible with other Ryobi tools.
- Screwdriver: You will need this to hand tighten the knob to your cabinet. I don’t recommend using the cordless drill because it is too powerful and can strip the screw.
“How To” Card for Installing Kitchen Knobs
How to Install Kitchen Knobs
Use a simple template to install professional looking and perfectly aligned kitchen cabinet knobs.
- Kitchen Knobs with screws
- Kitchen Knob Template
- Drill Bits
- Cordless Drill
- Place the kitchen knob template completely flush against the corners of the cabinet.
- Find the desired location of the knob and mark the hole closest to that spot with a pencil.
- Remove the template and drill a pilot hole with a drill bit that is 1/3rd the size of the screws that come with the kitchen knobs.
- Use a drill bit that is slightly larger than the last drill bit, but not as large as the kitchen knob screw to make the hole you previously made a little larger. This is a precautionary measure to avoid cracking your cabinets.
- Use a drill bit that is almost the size of the screw to make the hole a little larger. Normally the packaging that the kitchen knobs come in will list the suggested size of the final drill bit.
- Lastly, place the screw through the back of the cabinet and secure it with the kitchen knob by twisting it until it is tight. Do not over-tighten the knob.
When drilling the hole for the knob, make sure you open the cabinet slightly so you don't accidentally drill through anything that may be in the way.
What if you have a crooked cabinet?
If one of your cabinets isn’t level with the rest of your cabinets, you can still use the kitchen knob template. Mark the hole like you normally would followed by another hole just above that one to match the rest of your knobs.
As you can see in the photo above, some of my cabinets are not level. With just a minor adjustment, I was able to make it work.
Leave a Reply